Monday, June 4, 2012

National Donut Day

On Saturday we celebrated a belated National Donut Day.

I am a huge advocate for homemade baking, but since seeing this old-timey recipe (more like technique) on Pinterest I've had it in the back of my mind.  A couple of weeks ago we were driving through town and the boys were lamenting that the local Krispy Kreme shop closed and is being remodeled into a bank.  They were pretty distraught.

A few days later, one of them asked me when we can have donuts again.  Of course, we love the dreaded donut.  We try to have them very infrequently, but they are a nice treat.  You can't be a cop's family without the occasional donut!  So the next time I went to the store, Pin in mind, I bought a can of Pillsbury Grands (southern style, I think?).  They came 8 to a can, but I think the smaller ones work just as well.

I have never fried anything before, so heating the oil was a bit of trial and error.  The recipes I read said to use medium heat, and that's what I recommend below.  On my glass-top stove, medium heat (5) was just too hot.  The test-donut I made came out brown and not golden like it should be.  So I turned it down to about 3-4 (on the dial) and that seemed to work out fine.  I would suggest you try a something just below medium for a trial run if you haven't done this before.  It's a lot easier to heat oil up than to cool it down.

Overall, though, it's a very simple thing to do.  It's messier than it is hard.  But maybe that's just me. :)

Ingredients

Donut
1 can refrigerated biscuits
canola oil (enough for about 1/2 inch in the pan)

Glaze
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract (or whatever flavor suits your fancy)
2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar

Tools

Frying pan
Small pot

Whisk (or spoon)
Turner
Cooling rack (with paper town or plate under it to catch drips )

Directions

  1. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat.
  2. Meanwhile, combine milk and extract in small pot over medium-low heat.  Whisk in confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time until well combined.    Turn off burner and set aside. (I left it on the burner and stirred the glaze before each use.)
  3. Cut center of each biscuit out with a small cutter.  A medicine measuring cup from your Children's Tylenol or a bottle cap works great.  Improvise as needed.
  4. When oil is hot enough, gently drop a donut hole into the pan.  Flip after about a minute.  It should be golden.  Remove after about another minute with tongs.  (If the oil is too hot, the donut hole will be very brown.  If so, reduce heat and try again.)
  5. Dip donut hole in warm glaze and place  Repeat with remaining donut holes and donuts.
We found that if you want to add sprinkles, you should do so immediately after glazing the donut.  It is thin and cools quickly.  Once it's cooled, the sprinkles won't stick.

The verdict on this is yummy, but so unhealthy!  We never buy canned dough anymore, so maybe if we ever want donuts again, a from-scratch version will be in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share