Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream


I became the beneficiary of a one-gallon ice cream maker a few months ago. I had never in my life owned one. Only a handful of times had I ever even had homemade ice cream. I finally mustered the courage to give it a whirl for the last birthday party that we hosted.

I used a recipe from the instruction manual, since I wasn't feeling THAT brave. I was really skeptical about FLOUR in the ice cream, but after some mild panic (I didn't give myself enough time) the end product was a really tasty.

Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream


21⁄4 cups sugar
1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
5 cups milk*
4 eggs, beaten
4 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.

Gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add egg mixture to
remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat.

Refrigerate 2 hours. Combine whipping cream and vanilla in large bowl; add chilled
mixture, stirring with wire whisk to combine. Freeze as directed.
*I used 1%, what we had in the fridge at the time.

I learned my lesson to be prepared with plenty of ice and had kept the metal bucket in the freezer so I wouldn't have to remember it for later.  :)

The boys have been begging for ice cream for a few days so I'm looking for a new recipe to try.  I tried making a mint-chocolate-chip one.  It turned out just ok.  I need a good one!

What's your favorite flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share