Monday, May 21, 2012

Snips and Snails

Before having boys I would have never touched bugs, snails, or frogs.  In the last several years, though, I have done exactly that. 
I didn't want my boys to be grossed out by that stuff.  (Future daughters-in-law may thank me later when there's a spider to be confronted.)  So I just pretended to be cool with slime until one day I just was cool with it.
Caleb really has taken an interest in living creatures. Likes the science of it, and he appreciates the beauty of creation.  He's very interested in observing and caring for these little creatures.  He "speaks snail" and was utterly mortified when he accidentally ran over a snail with his bike last year. He still gets upset thinking about it now.
Micah, he's my ant stomper.  I hope his interest in living creatures increases.  He did have a great time at the PacSci butterfly house.
At any rate, this evening Caleb was looking in the bushes for a bird we'd seen on the porch, when he came across an unusual looking snail.  The ones we see around here are brown.
This one had very distinct stripes.
We observed it for short time, then Caleb and put it out in the grass.  Turns out it's a European Striped Snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share