Friday, May 25, 2012

Empanadas

It's been a long time since I've been to Peru.  (Remedying that situation; more on that later.)  Beside my family, what I miss most is the FOOD.  It is SO good.  Before you ask, no, it's not at all like Mexican food.

I know how to make exactly two Peruvian dishes.  One is Arroz con Pollo, which is a name that under-describes this amazing dish.  (Akin to naming your baby "Child".)  The other is Empanadas

I set my mind on making empanadas yesterday and so I thought I would share the recipe so anybody who stumbles upon this post hungry and curious might enjoy some tonight.  They are really very simple and don't take long to make.  This is my grandmother's empanada filling recipe.  I never got to meet her but I'd like to think we'd bond over making these.  Most crust recipes that I've found call for lard or shortening,

Let me warn you, oh picky eater.  This is a beef empanada.  It has egg in it.  Woah.  But wait, there's more.  There are raisins in it.  Yes.  I know it sounds weird.  But sweet and savory have gotten really "in" lately so really the Peruvians were just were ahead of their time.

The crust recipe is not authentic.  I have tried a couple of recipes for empanada dough and they were utter failures.  Probably lack of experience on my part with pastry dough.  These days I just use my version of my favorite pie crust recipe (no food processor needed), or you could use store-bought refrigerated pie crust.

Empanadas De Carne  

Makes 12 empanadas

(Crust)

> Original Recipe by Dana on Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into chunks (I cut it in half lengthwise and then into eighths width-wise)
  • 1/4 cup very cold water

Directions

  1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add in half of the butter chunks, pulse a few times, then add in the rest of the butter.  Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  2. Add in half of the water and pulse a few times.  Add in remaining water a little bit at a time, pulsing in between additions until mixture forms a ball.
  3. Flatten ball to about 2 inches thick, wrap in plastic and refrigerate.

(Filling)

Ingredients

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lg onion, diced
  • 1/2 c raisins
  • 3 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 12 greek black olives, diced
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a small bowl stir flour into water. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil. Add ground beef, olives, cumin, and paprika. Stir and cook until beef is browned.
  3. Pour flour/water mixture into beef mixture until well combined. Stir in raisins. Cook until raisins plump. Gently fold in eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow mixture to cool.

  Assembly

  1. When filling is ready, roll out pre-made crust dough to 1/8" thick. Cut out 12 circles.  (I used my flour sifter, which is 4.5" in diameter.
  2. Work with two circles at a time.  Keep remaining dough in refrigerator while you work.  Roll out each circle a bit flatter.  Place 1/2 cup of filling in each. Fold in half, pressing edges together firmly.  (I fold the edge over in half to make it more secure.) Use fork to crimp the seam.
  3. Place on cookie sheet. Optional: For a golden crust whisk an egg and brush it over the crust.  Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until crust is browned.

Traditionally these are dusted with confectioner's sugar when they come out of the oven and served with a lime wedge.


I think these would also freeze well but we've never had any last long enough to be frozen. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share