Friday, June 1, 2012

Unroasting-Pan Roasting Chicken

I have always wanted a roasting pan for making chicken (or turkey) in the oven.  But they are so big and expensive that even though I have looked at them in stores on online, I have never purchased one.

I came across this method somewhere between finding my favorite whole-chicken recipe and finding an alternate version for the crockpot.  I can't remember where I read it, but whomever thought of it was a genius.

Oval-ish squished foil.

Ingredients:

Chicken
Seasonings
Smart Balance (or butter)

Tools:

13x9 pan
Foil

You tear off three squares of foil, squish them into roughly ball-shaped, flatten them a bit, and place them in a 13x9 pan.

*FYI:  I use a Pyrex baking dish, but metal, Corningware, or glazed stoneware should all be should be fine.  I used to use my Martha Stewart enameled dutch oven until it was recalled.

Look ma, no hands.
Then place your chicken on top.  The tail end of the bird goes on the side with two foil balls. You'll have to adjust the foil under the bird so that it's being supported by the foil and none of the chicken is touching the pan.

Now, when you book the chicken according to your recipe, the fat will go to the bottom of the pan, and the chicken won't be sitting in it.  Just like a fancy schmancy roasting pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share